An intensive search for the so-called sovereign citizen who allegedly shot dead two police officers and badly wounded a third is entering its fifth day, as shocking weather closes in.
Dezi Freeman is alleged to have gunned down Detective Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson, 59, and Senior Constable Vadim De Waart, 35, at a property in Porepunkah in Victoria’s rugged alpine region on Tuesday morning.
Ten officers had gone to the Rayner St property, where several people lived, to serve a search warrant.
Freeman, 56, ran off into the bushland towards Mount Buffalo National Park after the shooting and has been at large since. He is believed to be heavily armed and is an experienced bushman.

WA’s biggest courts and crime stories to your inbox
Sign-up to our weekly newsletter for free
Sign up
More than 450 police officers are involved in the intensive search operation.
After the shooting at Freeman’s property on Tuesday morning, the experienced bushman fled.
Heavy rain, thick cloud cover and frigid temperatures have been a constant in the alpine town throughout the week and the conditions are expected to worsen over the weekend.
450 involved in manhunt
Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Mike Bush on Friday called on Freeman, formerly known as Filby, to hand himself in, saying police would not give up till he was found.
“In fact, if that person is listening, it really is time to lay down your firearms and give yourself up,” he said.
“We have over 450 police officers dedicated to this task.
“I can assure you, from them, that they do have every resource they require to locate the person (allegedly) responsible for this horrific homicide.”
Chief Commissioner Bush also warned others in the community to not help him and contact authorities.
“If he is being aided in his escape, whoever is considering aiding him in this escape or avoiding apprehension, they are committing a criminal offence,” he said.
“This person does not deserve to be aided in any way. If any person knows him or comes in contact with him, they need to encourage him to hand himself in.”
Police officers from the South Australian and ACT forces are on their way to join the Australian Federal Police and NSW Police personnel already on the ground, Mr Bush says.
Nine News on Friday night cited unnamed police as saying there had been reported but unconfirmed sightings of Freeman.
Freeman’s wife Mali and a 15-year-old boy were arrested on Thursday night before being released without charge.
Chief Commissioner Bush confirmed the woman arrested on Thursday night was Freeman’s wife.
“People were interviewed totally and specifically in relation to the homicide investigation,” he said.
“Those searches have been completed. The interviews have been conducted. Those people have been released. There may or may not be charges that follow.”
Ms Freeman on Friday was seen trying to enter the Wangaratta Court House, which was closed for business.
It’s not known what she was trying to do at the courthouse, where she was filmed by Seven News accompanied by supporters.
Funerals with full police honours
Funeral services with full police honours will be held for Senior Constable De Waart and Detective Thompson on Friday and Monday week.
Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan and Police Minister Anthony Carbines visited Wangaratta, the nearest major police station, to pay their respects.
“The state will be providing every support to Victoria Police to support the families in the organisation of the funeral arrangements, recognising that these will be very difficult days for the family,” Ms Allan said.
They also met with Detective Thompson’s wife Lisa and the aunt of Senior Constable De Waart, whose parents live in his native Belgium, in Melbourne.
Dozens of bouquets have been laid in the foyer of the station from locals paying their respects to the officers.
More to come
https://thewest.com.au/news/manhunt-for-alleged-police-killer-dezi-freeman-enters-5th-day-in-porepunkah-victoria-c-19852100