Israel continues to face rising worldwide strain to comply with a ceasefire amid mounting humanitarian disaster in Gaza.
Here’s how issues stand on Tuesday, February 13, 2024:
Humanitarian disaster in Gaza
- On Tuesday, at the very least 5 folks have been killed within the Nuseirat camp in central Gaza, whereas 4 extra have been killed by an Israeli bomb within the Brazil neighbourhood of Rafah. A rising worldwide refrain is looking for a ceasefire as Israel plans an assault on Rafah – dwelling to 1.4 million folks, most of whom have been displaced from different components of Gaza.
- Meanwhile, on the Israeli aspect, three troopers have been killed and two others have been injured in the course of the preventing. They have been a part of the 630th Battalion deployed in southern Gaza.
- Hala Mekdad, a 10-year-old woman, has died within the intensive care room of Nasser Hospital after electrical energy on the hospital was lower off in a single day, in accordance with a video shared on social media by a health care provider on the hospital and verified by Al Jazeera.
- Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis within the Gaza Strip has been beneath siege for weeks, with Ashraf al-Qudra, the spokesman for the Ministry of Health in Gaza, saying that Israeli snipers have fired at and killed folks within the hospital’s yard.
- The our bodies of a number of folks killed close to Nasser Hospital have reportedly been mendacity on the bottom for a number of days as it’s too unsafe to succeed in them, the United Nations humanitarian company OCHA stated.
- Israel has described Rafah because the final remaining Hamas stronghold within the territory and signalled that its floor offensive could quickly goal the city on the southern fringe of the Gaza Strip. At least 63 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli strikes in Rafah on Sunday in a single day, forward of the upcoming floor offensive.
- Palestinian well being authorities say greater than 28,000 folks have been killed. More than 85 % of Gazan residents have change into homeless because of the destruction of residential buildings in Israeli strikes. A UN survey discovered that just about one in 10 kids beneath 5 is acutely malnourished.
Regional tensions and diplomacy
- Israel is dealing with rising worldwide strain to comply with a ceasefire with Hamas.
- Pakistan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has issued a press release “strongly” condemning “Israel’s military aggression against Rafah city in Gaza and the resulting destruction and massacre of the Palestinian people”. More than 100 folks have been killed in intense Israeli bombardments on Sunday in a single day via to Monday.
- Meanwhile, United States President Joe Biden and King Abdullah II of Jordan mentioned methods to finish the battle in a gathering in Washington, DC.
- Biden and Netanyahu additionally spoke after two Egyptian officers and a Western diplomat stated Cairo threatened to droop its peace treaty with Israel if troops have been despatched into Rafah.
- Separately, a cargo ship that Yemen’s Houthis struck within the Red Sea was certain for a port in Iran, the US Central Command (CENTCOM) stated. The ship was struck by two missiles however is “seaworthy with minor damage and no injuries to the crew”, CENTCOM added.
Houthi Attack in Bab al-Mandeb
On Feb. 12 from 3:30 to three:45 a.m. (Sanaa time), Iranian-backed Houthi militants fired two missiles from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen towards the Bab al-Mandeb. Both missiles have been launched towards MV Star Iris, a Greek-owned, Marshall… pic.twitter.com/vfihRaw0rr
— U.S. Central Command (@CENTCOM) February 13, 2024
Occupied West Bank
- According to experiences by Palestinian information company Wafa, Israel set a Palestinian truck ablaze in a single day within the city of Huwara, within the occupied West Bank.
- Meanwhile, Wafa additionally stated that about 9,000 Palestinian prisoners are subjected to “unprecedented retaliatory measures”.
- “The Israeli Prison Service has further stripped the detainees of basic tools and means of communication with the outside world, such as television and family visits,” Wafa stated.
- The variety of settlers within the West Bank now stands at 517,407, up from 502,991 a yr earlier. Additionally, the United Kingdom has additionally introduced sanctions on 4 Israeli settlers accused of committing human rights abuses in opposition to Palestinians within the West Bank after the same transfer by the US this month.
- Announcing the asset freezes and journey and visa bans in opposition to the settlers, British Foreign Secretary David Cameron stated: “Israel must also take stronger action and put a stop to settler violence.”