Thursday, April 3

Myanmar’s ruling military has declared a temporary ceasefire in the nation’s civil war to facilitate relief efforts following a 7.7 magnitude earthquake that has killed more than 3000 people.

The surprise announcement by military leaders who also head the unelected government came on state television MRTV, which said the halt in fighting would run until April 22 to show compassion for people affected by Friday’s quake.

The announcement late on Wednesday local time followed unilateral temporary ceasefires announced by armed resistance groups opposed to military rule, and the military warned that those groups must refrain from attacking the state and regrouping, or else face “necessary” measures.

The resistance forces have also reserved the right to fight in self-defence.

Earlier on Wednesday, rescuers pulled two men alive from the ruins of a hotel in Myanmar’s capital, a third from a guesthouse in another city, and another in the country’s second city, Mandalay, five days after the quake. But most teams were finding only bodies.

The quake hit at midday on Friday, toppling thousands of buildings, collapsing bridges and buckling roads.

The death toll rose to 3003 on Wednesday, with more than 4500 people injured, MRTV reported. Local reports suggest much higher figures.

The quake worsened an already dire humanitarian crisis due to Myanmar’s civil war.

More than three million people had been displaced from their homes and nearly 20 million were in need even before it hit, according to the United Nations.

In the capital Naypyitaw, a team of Turkish and local rescue workers used an endoscopic camera to locate Naing Lin Tun on a lower floor of the damaged hotel where he worked.

They pulled him gingerly through a hole jackhammered through a floor and loaded him onto a gurney nearly 108 hours after he was first trapped.

Shirtless and covered in dust, he appeared weak but conscious in a video released by the local fire department, as he was fitted with an IV drip and taken away.

State-run MRTV reported later in the day that another man was saved from the same building, more than 121 hours after the quake struck. Both were age 26.

The earthquake also rocked neighbouring Thailand, causing the collapse of a high-rise building under construction in Bangkok.

One body was removed from the rubble early on Wednesday, raising the death total in Bangkok to 22 with 35 injured, primarily at the construction site.

Myanmar’s military seized power in 2021 from the democratically elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi, sparking what has turned into significant armed resistance.

Countries have pledged millions of dollars in assistance to help Myanmar and humanitarian aid organisations with the monumental task ahead, while also sending in specialist search and rescue teams and setting up field hospitals.

United Nations spokesman Stephane Dujarric said that continuing aftershocks are complicating humanitarian response efforts. In Mandalay City, many people are completely cut off from electricity and running water.

“People affected continue to need urgent healthcare and medical supplies, safe drinking water, food and other critical items,” Dujarric said.

“Tents and temporary shelter are needed, as well as latrines and other hygiene items, to prevent disease outbreaks.”

https://thewest.com.au/news/natural-disasters/ceasefire-declared-in-myanmar-as-quake-toll-passes-3000-c-18250957

Share.

Leave A Reply

14 + 4 =

Exit mobile version