Saturday, February 21

Police searching for kidnapped grandfather Chris Baghsarian suspect a stolen Victorian car found burnt out in Sydney is linked to the 85-year-old’s disappearance.

Mr Baghsarian was kidnapped from his home in Sydney’s northern suburb of North Ryde in the early hours of February 13. Police believe the grandfather was mistakenly targeted, with the kidnappers grabbing someone they thought was connected to the illicit drug trade.

This week police revealed a “makeshift stronghold” in the city’s semirural north west has been linked to the kidnapping.

Early Sunday, police put out a call for information on a burnt out Toyota Corolla, stolen from Victoria, found in the western suburb of Westmead.

Police say a burnout Toyota Corolla found in Sydney’s Westmead, stolen from Victoria, is linked to Chris Baghsarian’s mistaken kidnapping. Picture: NSW Police
Camera IconPolice say a burnout Toyota Corolla found in Sydney’s Westmead, stolen from Victoria, is linked to Chris Baghsarian’s mistaken kidnapping. NSW Police Credit: News Corp Australia

WA’s biggest courts and crime stories to your inbox

Sign-up to our weekly newsletter for free

Sign up

Camera IconChris Baghsarian was kidnapped on February 13. NSW Police Credit: Supplied Source Known

The car, along with another vehicle, was found destroyed three days after Mr Baghsarian was taken.

“The vehicles were partially destroyed; however, detectives were able to establish the targeted vehicle was a 2022 Toyota Corolla bearing Victorian registration ‘1UZ2BU’, reported stolen from a Victorian address on Friday, 13 January, 2026,” a police spokesperson said.

“As the intensive investigation continues to locate Mr Baghsarian and to identify and arrest those responsible for his kidnapping, police are appealing for further public assistance.

“Anyone who may have seen or heard anything, or has CCTV, dashcam and or mobile footage relating to the kidnapping, or witnessed any sort of suspicious activity in the Westmead area since last Friday is urged to contact detectives.”

Camera IconCCTV captured the kidnapping. Supplied Credit: Supplied Source Known
Camera IconPolice have found evidence Mr Baghsarian was held at a derelict, ‘makeshift stronghold’ at Dural in outer Sydney. NewsWire / Max Mason-Hubers Credit: News Corp Australia

Family of the intended target were sent a hostage video, which they forwarded to police after not recognising Mr Baghsarian.

Text messages seen by NewsWire this week, sent from the family of the intended target to the kidnappers, say: “Dumb dumb error, how did use (sic) get the wrong house”.

In another text: “My old man would have blown your head off”.

Then: “Good luck, one of your team will give you up”.

A video made by the kidnappers appeared to show the grandfather’s face covered and his hands tied with duct tape.

There are also images circulating of the man’s finger being cut off.

Police raided the “makeshift stronghold” at Dural on Thursday night, finding evidence “to suggest Mr Baghsarian was held there at some stage during the last seven days”, Detective Acting Superintendent Andrew Marks said.

The property had been abandoned for years.

Mr Baghsarian’s family were “devastated”, Detective Marks told reporters on Friday, and the family had not received a ransom demand.

“This is not the world they live in, it’s taken them by shock,” he said.

“They’re anxious, they’re devastated, and they want some answers. That is what we are here for today – to try and get them more answers.

“We are making inroads into this investigation. We really want to find Mr Baghsarian for them.”

https://thewest.com.au/news/police-link-burnt-out-car-to-mistaken-identity-kidnapping-of-sydney-grandfather-c-21716521

Share.

Leave A Reply

4 × four =

Exit mobile version