The Foreign Affairs Ministry also reiterated that Indonesia consistently supports Palestinian independence through a two-state solution and vowed to reject any demographic changes or forced relocation of the Palestinian people in any form.
“Indonesia’s participation is based on the principle of respect for the preservation of Palestine and the right to self-determination of the Palestinian people,” it was quoted as saying by Tempo.
Separately, Indonesia’s military headquarters said on Sunday that around 1,000 military personnel are expected “to be ready for departure by April 2026”, with full troop readiness targeted no later than June.
In a written statement, Head of the Army Public Relations Division Donny Pramono clarified that being “ready for deployment” does not mean the troops will be sent to Gaza by that date, but they will have met the conditions to be deployed at any time.
“The departure schedule still entirely depends on the state’s (Indonesia) political decision and the applicable international mechanisms,” Donny said, as quoted by Tempo.
He added that the Indonesian military has yet to receive a decision on the date for possible deployment to Gaza, and both the army and the Defence Ministry are still waiting for Indonesia President Prabowo Subianto’s decision.
Indonesian Army Chief of Staff Maruli Simanjuntak previously estimated that between 5,000 and 8,000 military personnel could be deployed, with final numbers “still being negotiated”.
Meanwhile, senior Hamas official Osama Hamdan told Al Jazeera news network on Wednesday that Palestinians reject any form of foreign guardianship over Gaza.
As quoted by Jordan Daily, Hamdan said that Hamas had communicated directly with Jakarta, saying that any foreign forces must remain neutral and not act in a manner that contradicts Palestinian will or serves as a proxy for Israeli occupation.
Earlier this month, Indonesia signalled it may withdraw from the Board of Peace led by United States President Donald Trump if goals such as advancing Palestinian independence are not met.
Foreign minister Sugiono said Prabowo is leaving open the option of withdrawal if the board’s direction “did not align” with Indonesia’s priorities of peace in Gaza in the immediate term, “peace in Palestine more broadly, and ultimately Palestinian independence and sovereignty”.
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/indonesia-gaza-palestine-israel-peacekeeping-humanitarian-combat-isf-foreign-affairs-ministry-5933846

