NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Former Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
King Charles III reacted to his brother’s arrest in a statement issued by Buckingham Palace.
“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” the king said. “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”
“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all,” he added.
EX-PRINCE ANDREW IGNORES US EPSTEIN PROBE REQUESTS AS EXPERTS WARN OF ‘GHASTLY’ OPTICS FOR ROYAL FAMILY

Men step out of an unmarked car at the home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Feb. 19, 2026, in Sandringham, Norfolk. (Peter Nicholls/Getty Images)
Thames Valley Police arrested Andrew earlier Thursday morning on suspicion of misconduct in public office, and he is in custody. He turned 66 Thursday.
Police are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. He has yet to be charged with any wrongdoing. He can be held for a maximum of 96 hours before being charged or released.
Misconduct in public office is an offense in abuse or neglect of power or responsibilities by someone holding public office. It applies to people in roles across the U.K. government and public services, including elected officials, civil servants, the police and judiciary, but also some others working in public services.
Thames Valley Police, which covers areas west of London, said Andrew was arrested after a “thorough assessment,” with an investigation now opened.
EX-PRINCE ANDREW’S DAUGHTERS ‘EMOTIONALLY DRAINED’ AS EXPLOSIVE EPSTEIN FILES STRAIN FAMILY TIES: EXPERT

Prince Andrew and King Charles III attend Katharine, Duchess of Kent’s funeral service at Westminster Cathedral on Sept. 16, 2025 in London. (Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)
“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright noted. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offense. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
The former prince has faced public scrutiny due to his ties to the late Jeffrey Epstein, who died by apparent suicide while in a Manhattan jail cell in 2019.
EX-PRINCE ANDREW TOLD ROYAL STAFF TO ‘F OFF’ IN ENTITLED OUTBURSTS: PRINCESS DIANA’S FORMER BUTLER
The family of Virginia Roberts Giuffre, one of the most prominent Epstein and former Prince Andrew accusers, reacted to news of the prince’s arrest in a statement.
“At last. Today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty. On behalf of our sister, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, we extend our gratitude to the UK’s Thames Valley Police for their investigation and arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor,” the statement said. “He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you.”
Giuffre, who also died by apparent suicide last year, alleged that Andrew had sex with her when he knew she was only 17, according to an extract from her memoir published by The Guardian.
She said that Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell had told her, “When we get home, you are to do for him what you do for Jeffrey.”
“He was friendly enough, but still entitled — as if he believed having sex with me was his birthright,” Giuffre wrote of the former prince.
“The next morning, Maxwell told me: ‘You did well. The prince had fun.’ Epstein would give me $15,000 for servicing the man the tabloids called ‘Randy Andy,’” Giuffre wrote.
PRINCE ANDREW ACCUSER VIRGINIA GIUFFRE FEARED SHE WOULD ‘DIE A SEX SLAVE’ IN JEFFREY EPSTEIN TRAFFICKING RING

A man steps out of an unmarked car at the home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Feb. 19, 2026, in Sandringham, Norfolk. The former prince has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, following a police investigation into the recently released Jeffrey Epstein files. (Peter Nicholls/Getty Images)
In October 2025, the former prince declared in a statement that he would “no longer use my title or the honours which have been conferred upon me,” noting, “As I have said previously, I vigorously deny the accusations against me.”
Later that same month, a statement from Buckingham Palace declared that the king had “initiated a formal process to remove the Style, Titles and Honours of Prince Andrew,” noting, “Prince Andrew will now be known as Andrew Mountbatten Windsor.”
VIRGINIA GIUFFRE’S MEMOIR RECOUNTS RAPE BY FORMER PRIME MINISTER; EPSTEIN’S TIES TO BILL CLINTON, TRUMP

A man steps out of an unmarked car at the home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Feb. 19, 2026, in Sandringham, Norfolk. (Peter Nicholls / Getty Images)
The Crown Prosecution Service indicates that misconduct in public office has a maximum sentence of life in prison.
“Misconduct in public office (“MiPO”) is a common law offence that can be tried only on indictment,” it says. “It carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. The offence concerns serious willful abuse or neglect of the power or responsibilities of the public office held. There must be a direct link between the misconduct and an abuse of those powers or responsibilities. The Court of Appeal has made it clear that the offence should be strictly confined, and it can raise complex and sometimes sensitive issues.”
The Associated Press and Fox News’ Tim Santhouse and David Spunt contributed to this report
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/andrew-mountbatten-windsor-arrested-suspicion-misconduct-public-office

